June is Dairy Month. That makes me think of milk, yogurt and cheeses; all of these beverages and foods belong in the Dairy Group of the Food Pyramid. And they are jam-packed with good nutrition. Recommended serving: 3 or more from the Dairy Group per day:
Menu Ideas to Boost Dairy Food Intake:
- Dairy products provide calcium and vitamin D for bone growth and then maintenance of bone density.
- Dairy products give you calcium and potassium to keep your blood pressure under control.
- Dairy products give you protein for growth needs and rebuilding of tissue.
- Make your cocoa with skim milk.
- Make a yogurt parfait with nonfat yogurt, cereal and fresh fruit.
- Combine flaked salmon with reduced-fat ricotta or cottage cheese and stuff into pita pocket.
- Place asparagus spears on multi-grain tortilla, top with shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese. Heat in microwave long enough to melt cheese.
- Add cubed cheese to vegetable and pasta salads.
This yogurt parfait was made with nonfat yogurt - yum!
Check out www.nationaldairycouncil.org
for great recipes.