Ingredientsvegetable cooking spray1¼ cups whole wheat pastry or all-purpose flour¼ cup uncooked quick-cooking oats1/3 cup sugar (or Splenda sugar substitute)1/3 cup unprocessed cocoa powder½ tablespoon baking powder1 teaspoon baking soda1 cup fat-free buttermilk2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce½ cup egg substitute3 tablespoons canola oil1 teaspoon vanilla extractDirections
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray an 11x7 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda.
- In large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, applesauce, egg substitutes, oil and extract.
- Stir the flour mixture into the liquid ingredient, stir just until combined. Spread batter evenly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when gently touched in the center and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in pan on cooling rack before cutting. Makes 24 small squares.