5 cups whole-grain bread cubes
2 cups cooked, coarsely chopped broccoli or other vegetable such as squash, asparagus, etc.
1 cup cooked mushrooms, chopped
½ cup sliced green onions
1¼ cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
2 cups cholesterol-free egg substitute
2 cups fat-free milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Layer bread cubes, broccoli, mushrooms and green onions in 13x9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle ¾ cup cheese evenly over the mixture.
- Whisk the egg substitute, milk, mustard, pepper and salt in bowl until blended. Pour evenly over the bread-vegetable mixture. Cover with wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the strata and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over the top. Bake 10 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minute before cutting into wedges. Makes 8 servings.