The RMH Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is staffed by a team of highly trained professionals under the direction of the program’s medical director, and consists of supervised exercise therapy and formal education focusing upon your lungs and your health. The program is designed to help individuals who have been diagnosed with emphysema, bronchitis, asthma or other forms of lung disease live a more satisfying life.
Participating in the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program provides significant benefits:
- A better understanding of the changes caused by lung disease;
- Increased knowledge on how to lead a more active, healthier life;
- Better control over many of the problems that often occur with lung disease;
- Possible reduction in the number of hospital stays for lung infections;
- Fewer feelings of depression and anxiety;
- The opportunity for your family to become involved in your care and recovery.
The Outpatient Program
The RMH Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is a physician-ordered program of disease education and supervised exercise therapy tailored to your individual needs.
This program will help you:
- Improve your strength and stamina
- Become less dependent on oxygen (if prescribed)
- Understand your lung disease
- Deal with periods of shortness of breath
- Pace yourself so shortness of breath does not occur
- Become aware of signs and symptoms that require immediate medical attention
- Develop a home exercise program
This program includes:
- Group education covering topics such as nutrition, relaxation and coping, medications, medical equipment, breathing retraining, and proper coughing techniques
- Monitored exercise supervised by trained staff
- The use of various types of exercise equipment to meet your individual needs
- Support groups for patients and their families
To enroll in the RMH Pulmonary Rehab Program, ask your physician to contact us. We will then call you to schedule an appointment or to discuss your needs.
Facilities and parking
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehab Programs are offered at the RMH Outpatient Center, located at 2010 Health Campus Drive. Parking is available in Lot G.
Pulmonary (PALS) Support Group
Any persons who have COPD or other lung conditions as well as friends or family members of these persons are welcome to attend our support group. There is no cost for attending the support group except for what you purchase at Pano's restauraunt for lunch. Meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month at 11:45 a.m. Most meetings include an educational speaker, and a quarterly newsletter is available (please call Healthsource at 540-433-4580 to get on the mailing list).