Planning your family
Thank you for considering the RMH Family Birthplace for the birth of your baby. The birth of a baby is a life-changing event. Planning and learning about prenatal and infant care can help this be a positive and fulfilling experience. Because the needs of families vary, we offer many classes and services for mothers-to-be and their families. For most classes, we suggest that both you and your partner or support person attend click here to find out more. The Family Birthplace counselor will discuss classes that will be most beneficial to you and your family.
Things to do before your baby is born
- Pre-register for the birth of your baby at 7 months. Park in Lot A at RMH and enter the main hospital entrance. Go past the stairs to the Registration area. Please bring a photo ID and your current insurance cards. No appointments are necessary. Registration is available Monday-Friday, 6am-6pm.
- Take prenatal classes. These classes are offered at RMH. To register call 540-689-3390.
- Take a tour of the RMH Family Birthplace conducted on the first Sunday of every month at 1p.m. (a tour is also included in the Birth Preparation Class). Registration is required by calling 540-564-7200. This tour is free.
- Choose your baby's pediatrician or healthcare provider.
- Talk to your spouse or significant other about breastfeeding, bottle-feeding, circumcision and birth control.
- Get an NHTSA-approved car seat and practice installing it and taking it out of your car. Know how to use it!
- Get a firm mattress that fits the baby's crib.
- Pack a goody bag (slippers, night gown, chap stick, toothbrush and paste, other personal items, radio/CD player, snacks, one baby outfit and blanket to go home in, massage "toy" and lotion to massage your back).
- Have a plan for getting to RMH when labor starts; plan babysitting for older children.
For more information or questions about the RMH Family Birthplace, please call 540-689-3333 or e-mail us.