The Surgery Process
At Sentara RMH, our goal is to relieve your pain, restore your independence and return you to work and other daily activities.
Below is a brief overview of the surgery process. For a complete guide to your surgery, please refer to the patient handbooks at right.
We believe that YOU play a key role in your successful recovery. We involve you in each step of the program. Every detail, from peri-operative teaching to post-operative exercising, is considered and reviewed with you.
The Steps to Recovery
Step 1: Your surgeon’s office will provide you with either the Sentara RMH Joint Services or Sentara RMH Spine Services patient handbook. Your handbook is a detailed guide on what to expect before, during, and after surgery, as well as helpful hints and requirements for a successful recovery. Bring the handbook with you to all classes and appointments and to the hospital during surgery.
Step 2: After your surgery is scheduled, a member of the team will schedule your pre-operative class. At class, you’ll meet members of the team, have the opportunity to ask questions, review the pre-operative exercises, and more. It’s encouraged that you bring a family member or friend to act as your coach.
Step 3: During your stay with us, your pain will be monitored closely.
- Joint replacement patients: After surgery you will begin physical therapy and, if needed, occupational therapy. Discharge planning will begin as early as post-operative Day 1. By post-operative Day 3, you will be discharged, either directly home or to a skilled care facility, depending on your needs.
- Spine surgery patients: Your stay at Sentara RMH will vary depending on the type of spine surgery scheduled. During your time with us, you’ll begin physical therapy and, if needed, occupational therapy. Discharge planning will begin as early as post-operative day one. At time of discharge, you will go directly home. A skilled care facility may be considered, depending on the needs of the patient.
Step 4: You’ll be given a plan for exercises to complete at home to help with a successful recovery. All patients are also invited to a reunion luncheon with staff several weeks after surgery.
Your Support System
Joint and Spine Care Coordinator
Unique to Sentara RMH Joint Services is the role of the Joint and Spine Care Coordinator. Gina Lambert, BSN, RN, serves Sentara RMH in this role. Gina walks each patient through the surgery process, from the surgeon’s office to the hospital and home. She will:
- Provide pre-surgery education and support
- Review what you’ll need at home after your surgery, including support, if required
- Act as your advocate throughout the course of treatment
- Answer questions and coordinate your hospital care with the rest of the spine services team
If you’d like to contact Gina, email her at email@example.com
Sentara RMH Rehab Services
The Rehab Services team plays an integral role in your recovery! You’ll meet with members of the team numerous times before and during and after your surgery. Rehab Services guides the group therapy (joint replacement patients) and physical/occupational therapy sessions. They’ll also teach you how to correctly perform your post-operative exercises at home. Learn more about Rehab Services at RMHOnline.com.
The Role of the Coach
If you’re considering surgery – or already have surgery scheduled – start thinking about who will be your coach throughout the process. Whether a friend or family member, your coach will be with you from the pre-op process through your stay in the hospital and discharge. They will attend the pre-op class, give support during exercise classes, and keep you focused on healing.