The weather is sunny and warm and it is the perfect time to get outside with friends and family for a meal. The act of eating outside can be traced back as far as the 14th century and is still a large part of many household traditions when the weather gets warm. These gatherings are often pot-luck and just like eating out at a restaurant, it can be difficult to know what you're eating when you don't prepare it yourself. You can still enjoy the food and the fun with these simple strategies for eating well at cookouts, barbecues and picnics:
- Choose vegetable salad or fruit salad instead of potato or traditional macaroni salad
- Bring a healthier main dish such as grilled chicken breast or turkey burgers or even a rotisserie chicken
- Enjoy seasonal fruit for dessert instead of cake or cookies
- Stay hydrated with low-calorie beverages such as water, unsweetened iced tea or sugar-free flavored water
- Exercise! Don't spend all of your time around the food...try starting a game of kickball or frisbee or just take a walk and catch up with friends in the process
Try this recipe for a yummy main dish to bring to your next picnic: Zesty Grilled Chicken with Thyme.
This record has been viewed 379