Meeting and talking with others who have undergone weight loss surgery is very important to the success of your weight loss. Support groups have proven to be an essential part of the recovery process for many patients, and research shows that persons who regularly attend support group meetings have better success with their long-term weight loss. Patients, people considering gastric banding surgery, family members, and other support-persons are welcome to attend our monthly support group meetings.
The LAP-BAND support group meetings focus on helping patients make lasting adjustments following surgery. The meetings may also provide emotional and behavioral support for those trying to make significant lifestyle changes for their health. Because this surgery requires extreme changes in behavior and lifestyle, we want to make certain that you continue to receive the support and guidance required to ensure life-long weight maintenance.
Our support groups are moderated by mental health professionals, registered dietitians, exercise experts, a nurse practitioner, the bariatric navigator and the bariatric surgeons. Topics that will be covered in the support groups include:
- Tips on eating healthy
- Emotional issues with weight loss
- Taste testing and fun snack ideas
- Behavioral changes for long-term success
- Coping with holiday stress
- Establishing an exercise routine
- Importance of strength training
- Exercise progression
- Cardiovascular fitness
- Hear the weight loss stories of LAP-BAND® surgical patients who have already undergone the procedure (post-op patients are often present at support group meetings)
- January 28—It’s COLD outside! Stay warm on the inside with Warm Recipes for Cold Weather
- March 25—Were you hoping for a bikini bod by this summer? Or not – maybe you were just hoping to reach that first goal? Disappointment can be frustrating and harmful. Come deal with disappointment head-on and prevent it from destroying the future
- May 6—Yoga can be relaxing, stress reducing physical activity to help you burn calories, feel stronger and deal with every day life. Join us for Yoga basics.
- July 23—Summer is in full swing! Join us for some low calorie spring and summer dessert ideas you can take to parties, barbecues, or picnics
- September 30—The hot summer sun is fading and the weather is getting nice for some outdoor fun. Time to get out and enjoy a fine walk. We’ll meet at the medical office building and hike the track around the hospital
- November 19—Feeling sleepy? Weight loss not what you’d like? Find out why sleep is so important to help you lose weight, deal with stress and improve your mood
All meetings are held 12-1 p.m. in the first floor conference room of the Medical Office Building, 2006 Health Campus Drive, Harrisonburg. For more information contact us at 540-689-5646.